Nutrition and Wellness Services (NWS)
Providing nutrition educational and consulting services for the attainment of optimal wellness. NWS is located in Columbia, MD and serves the Maryland, DC, Virginia and Pennsylvania areas.
Nutrition RecommendationWhat is the best nutritional strategy to transform your health, attain optimal wellness, reach and remain at ideal weight, normalize risk factors, strengthen your immune system, optimize your digestive system, and balance your hormonal systems? We have reduced our recommendation down to just 6 words:
1. Avoid Processed Food
2. Eat Real Food
Nutrition and Wellness Services Real Food Life Course
The Healing Power of Real Food
A one year program
Offering two new classes per month
Starts September 12, 2013 at Owen Brown Community Center
Sept 12 The Healing Power of Real Food
Sept 19 Dangers of Processed Food (Part 1)
Oct 10 Dangers of Processed Food (Part 2)
Oct 17 Real Foods and Where to Find Them (Part 1)
Nov 14 Real Foods and Where to Find Them (Part 2)
Nov 21 Vitamin D: How to Prevent Colds and Flu This Winter
Dec 5 Diabetes: Preventable, Controllable, Curable (Part 1)
Dec 12 Diabetes: Preventable, Controllable, Curable (Part 2)
Jan 9 Weight Loss: Real Food Solution (Part 1)
Jan 16 Weight Loss: Real Food Solution (Part 2)
Jan 23 Applications Class: You've Got a Friend in Fats
Nutrition and Wellness Services Real Food Life Course
• Two classes per month for an entire year• Incremental education and implementation
• Stay focused on your health and wellness goals
• Complete health transformation• Normalize risk factors (cholesterol, weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, insulin)
• Lose weight without trying by eliminating hunger, cravings and addictions
• No dieting and no diet food
• Reduce healthcare costs by 75% or more
• If you are well, you have no need for over-the-counter or prescription medications
• Real prevention by eliminating the cause not treating symptoms
• Optimal wellness for a lifetime
• Feel better, sleep better, look better, perform better, think more clearly, more energy
• Optimize your metabolic, enzymatic, digestive, immunologic, hormonal, and neurologic systems
All with the healing power of real foods!
April Classes at Owen Brown Community Center
April 10: Vaccination: Top 25 Questions and Issues
Thirty years ago children were expected to get a few vaccines but today children are required to get
• 49 doses of 14 vaccines by age 6
• 69 doses of 16 vaccines by age 18
and pharmaceutical companies have 250 additional vaccines in the pipeline.
What are the top 25 questions and issues regarding vaccines?
• Safe and effective?
• What's in a vaccine?
• How many is too many?
• Risk vs benefit
• Mandatory vs choice and informed consent
• Vaccine exemptions
• VAERS - Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System
• Vaccinated vs unvaccinated
• Can you be fired from your job for not getting a flu shot?
and much more ...
April 17: Raw Milk: Consumer's Guide to Milk
• Raw milk - The Healing Power of Real Food
• Raw milk - retail store sales allowed in 10 states but not Maryland
• How do you get raw milk if you live in Maryland
• What is a Cow-Share or Herd Share - is this available in Maryland
• Can you freeze raw milk?
• The difference between raw milk and pasteurized milk
• Asthma and allergy
• Pasteurized milk and food allergies
• A look at industrial milk
• Fermented/cultured milk
• Milk from grassfed/pastured cows vs feedlot/CAFO cows
• Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rGBH)
and much more ...
May Classes at Owen Brown Community Center
May 8: Dental Health: Real Food Solution
The foundation of good dental health is not superficial external treatments like brushing, flossing, mouthwash and fluoride but nourishing the body from within with nutrient dense real food. In this class you will be introduced to a concept that you probably have never been informed about.
Cavities are the result of constant exposure to depleting processed foods and external treatments cannot overcome the weakening of your internal metabolic, nutritional and hormonal processes that regulate dental health and lead to the development of cavities. Replace these depleting processed foods with nutrient dense real foods, minerals, fats and oil soluble vitamins and activators. It is even possible to remineralize and “heal” cavities and avoid the drill. But our goal is to prevent dental deterioration and not get to the point where you have to remediate the first sign of a cavity.
If you are tired of the endless battle of cleanings, scrapings, x-rays, cavities, fillings, gingivitis, crowns, and root canals and are ready to take charge of your dental health – here is your chance to begin a new direction in your dental health with the healing power of real food.
May 15: Dental Health: Fluoridation and Mercury• Is fluoride toxic?
The foundation of modern dentistry includes some of the most toxic elements known to man – fluoride and mercury. Why?
• Have you read the fluoride warning on the side of your toothpaste box?
• Where does the fluoride that is dumped into the public water supply come from?
• What communities in Maryland do not add fluoride to the public water?
• How many children and teens have fluorosis – fluoride toxicity?
• Which cities do not fluoridate their public water?
• “Silver” fillings are 50% mercury• Why do they call them “silver” or amalgam fillings and hide the fact that they contain mercury?
• Why is mercury still being used?
• How do you safely remove mercury fillings?
• Holistic dentistry
Find out how to be fluoride and mercury free.
Winter 2014 Classes at Howard Community College
Real Food Body Transformation ChallengeFor seven years the 12 Week Body Transformation Challenge has helped people lose weight, normalize risk factors and accomplish health and wellness goals. This class has been renamed the Real Food Body Transformation Challenge to identify the central guiding principles: 1. avoid processed food and 2. eat real food. Concerned about health? Want to make a change? Learn about the healing power of real food. In this class you will evaluate your health, set goals, learn and implement a real food diet and exercise program, reevaluate and report. The winner will be chosen by the class based on accomplishment of individual goals. It’s a competition with no losers, only winners. No dieting, no pills, no procedures – just real food. Taught by Jim Pirisino, a board certified and licensed nutritionist.
Jan 14, Jan 21, Jan 28, Feb 4, Mar 4, Mar 25
Nutrition 2014: Weight Loss
Our number one nutritional concern is weight loss which is not surprising since almost 3/4 of American adults are overweight. Since weight gain carries an elevated risk for a long list of ailments and chronic diseases including heart disease and diabetes, the first step in correcting our health is weight loss. But why is it so hard to lose weight and keep it off?
Weight gain is the first sign that our metabolic, digestive and hormonal systems are not functioning properly. To lose weight, we have to correct the underlying problems. In these classes, you will learn what the real cause of weight gain is, how to replace the foods that cause metabolic stress with foods that nourish, how to heal and regenerate the body leading to steady, long term and permanent weight loss. No more yo-yo dieting, no pills, no procedures. Taught by Jim Pirisino, a board certified and licensed nutritionist.
February 11, 18, 25, 2014
Nutrition 2014: Gut HealthAll disease begins in the gut. (Hippocrates) Why are so many people, including children, teens and young adults, suffering from mild to severe digestive and gut health problems? These problems include acid reflux, food sensitivities, food allergies, diarrhea, constipation, yeast infection, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, and Crohn’s. Leaky gut health problems can even manifest beyond the gut as autoimmune problems, skin conditions and the emerging realization of the gut-brain connection (GAPS). Take control of your health and promote optimal wellness from the inside out. Using a whole, real, living, probiotic, nutrient dense foods based approach to optimal wellness and vibrant digestive health, to heal and seal the gut wall, and build a strong immune system. No pills, no procedures – just real food. Taught by Jim Pirisino, a board certified and licensed nutritionist.
April 8, 22, 29, 2014
To register for these HCC classes: (HCC will update their website with the Winter Class Schedule the first week of December)http://coned.howardcc.edu/Courses/lifestyle_and_leisure/wellness_body_mind_spirit.html
December Classes at Owen Brown Community Center
Diabetes – Preventable, Controllable, and Curable
Empowering you with the knowledge to defeat diabetes at all stages
I don’t have diabetes. Why should I take this class?The time to take this class is:
• before you develop diabetes
• before you develop pre-diabetes
• before you develop all of the complications and health issues
Who should take this class? Do you have pre-diabetes? Are you on the road to diabetes and heart disease?
• suffer from occasional or chronic hypoglycemia
• feel bad after a meal or snack
• experience hunger, cravings, addictions
• have a relative with diabetes
• have hormonal issues (PMS, PCOS…)
• have yeast infections
• have high cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar
• have sleep issues
Are you• fatigued, tired – especially 1-2 hr after a meal
• addicted to sugar
• concerned about heart disease
Diabetes• 1/3 of all adults are already diabetic or pre-diabetic
• this progressive process takes 10-20 years to develop (how far along are you?)
• children, teens and young adults are getting Type 2 Diabetes (once called adult-onset diabetes)
• the longer you let it progress, the more damage
• the longer you let it progress, the more stringent/diligent you will need to be to control/prevent complications
• stop your progression to diabetes and heart disease - they are linked
• identify and eliminate the cause
• control blood sugar and insulin 24 hours per day
Other Popular Classes
Real Food Body Transformation Challenge (12 Week Body Transformation Challenge)12 hours of classroom instruction. In the reality show format, you will assess your current health status, set goals for this class and long term goals, profess your goals to the class, learn how diet and exercise can transform your health and your life and put what you learn into action. Winner is chosen by the class and is the person who has achieved the most to attain their goals
Nutrition: Gut Health
All disease begins in the gut (Hippocrates). Why are so many people, including children, teens and young adults, suffering from mild to severe digestive gut health problems? Take control of your health and promote optimal wellness from the inside out. Using a whole, real, living, probiotic, nutrient dense foods based approach to building vibrant digestive health, heal and seal the gut wall, and build a strong immune system.
Nutrition: Diabetes Awareness and PreventionType 2 Diabetes (T2D) has reached epidemic levels.
The message is that diabetes (T2D) is preventable, controllable and curable.
Awareness – learn how the disease develops, the risk factors and the consequences.
Prevention – learn the diet and exercise lifestyle guidelines that get you off the road to diabetes and heart disease and onto the road to optimal wellness.
Diabetes – Just Say No
Nutrition: Nourishing Traditions
We are compromising our health with convenience foods and processed foods.
Where are the real foods that will guarantee healthy babies and children, that will help us maintain proper weight, that will build strong immune systems to fight and prevent disease, that will provide us with our ultimate goal - optimal wellness? Take control of your health, your weight, and your life by replacing your current diet of lifeless, chemical based processed foods with a nutrient dense traditional diet, using Sally Fallon’s book, “Nourishing Traditions” as your guide.
Nutrition: Weight Loss
Our number one nutritional concern is weight loss which is not surprising since 67% of American adults are overweight. Weight gain is the first sign that our metabolic, digestive, and hormonal systems are not functioning properly. To lose weight, we have to correct the underlying problems. In this class you will learn how to replace the foods that cause metabolic stress with foods that nourish, heal and regenerate the body leading to steady, long term and permanent weight loss. No more yo-yo dieting, no diet foods, no pills, no procedures.
Nutrition and Wellness Services Resource Guide
You have decided to give up processed foods and transition to a real food dietary regimen. But supermarkets are nutritional wastelands of processed foods. Where can you find real foods?
It is not easy, but there are many resources available if you know where to look. Use the Nutrition and Wellness Services Resource Guide to find the best and most nutritious foods. Resources are provided in the Maryland, DC, Virginia and Pennsylvania areas. Products, services, support, supplemental information and resources are listed for the pursuit of optimal health and wellness.
Nutrition and Wellness Services Food Guide Workbook Learn how to evaluate foods. The surprising facts about the foods you eat every day will amaze and appall you at the same time. Foods, food labels and Ingredients lists are presented for each food category. Foods are segmented into four categories. Processed foods are categorized as either Bad or Better, while Real foods are categorized as either Good or Best. You will not see meaningful benefits until you transition your foods from Bad and Better to Good and Best. "Diet" foods are processed foods and will not help you achieve your goal of optimal wellness.